community development internship
A large part of the Border Fellows program includes working with Ciudad Nueva, a community development organization that serves the Rio Grande district of El Paso. The mission of Ciudad Nueva is to embody the gospel of Jesus Christ by advancing the renewal and development of inner city El Paso through the transformation and empowerment of its residents. Ten years after Ciudad Nueva began, they remain focused on the Rio Grande community, serving hundreds of youth and families through a variety of programs.
Households in the Rio Grande district often consist of 8 to 10 family members, spanning three generations who live in one or two bedroom tenements. Over half the adults age 25 and over have not completed high school, 89% of the population is Hispanic, and 82% speak Spanish at home. Many of the families in the neighborhood have relatives in Juarez and spend significant time there on the weekends and during the summer. Several have relatives who have been injured or killed in the violence in Juarez and some have witnessed acts of violence.
As a Christian community development organization, Ciudad Nueva works to identify unmet needs in our physical area and provide non-duplicated services to address those needs. Ciudad Nueva empowers the neighborhood through programs related to youth, education, family support, advocacy and community partnership. Border Fellows serve with Ciudad Nueva's youth programs for at least 20 hours a week. Fellows will be placed in one of three areas of ministry within Ciudad Nueva:
Elementary School Focus: Launch Pad
- Border Fellows who focus on the elementary school track will help lead all aspects of he Launch Pad Cener for Youth Development, an after-school program for low-income elementary students.
- Launch Pad meets after school and provides students with healthy snacks, mentoring, tutoring, spiritual formation, character development, life skills training, banking/budgeting skills, crafts and recreational activities.
- Fellows may also help students integrate into the Church of St. Clement's Childrens Ministry.
Middle School Focus: Kids Create
- Border Fellows who focus on the middle school track will help lead all aspects of Kids Create, an after-school program for low-income middle school students.
- Building on the foundation laid by Launch Pad, Kids Create seeks to foster spiritual formation and self confidence. Kids Create meets after school and provides students with snacks tutoring, short fun courses (art, photography, cooking, outdoor education, etc.) a weekly Wyldlife club (Young Life) and recreational activities.
- Fellows may also help students integrate into the Church of St. Clement's Youth Ministry
High School Focus: Young Life
- Border Fellows who focus on the high school track will help lead all aspects of the high school neighborhood youth outreach activities.
- Building on the foundation laid by Launch Pad and Kids Create, high school outreach programs include tutoring, a Young Life Club, Campaigners, Catalyst a Job Training and College Preparatory Program.
- Boys soccer team, girls volleyball team, small groups and recreational activities if available.
- Fellows may also help students integrate into the Church of St. Clement's Youth Ministry.